Central Highlands Council
By-Election 2017

Election Calendar


Monday 16 January

Nominations Open


Thursday 19 January

Rolls Close

12 noon

Thursday 2 February

Nominations Close

12 noon

Friday 3 February

Announcement of Nominations


Tuesday 7 March

Close of Polling

Polling Period:

Tuesday 7 February
to 10am Tuesday 7 March


Councillor - 4 candidates

Candidate names are listed above in alphabetical order, but they will be rotated on ballot papers.

Candidate Statements

Each elector receives a ballot pack containing a ballot paper and a booklet which has voting instructions and statements from the candidates.

(pdf booklet opens in a new tab):⤵

Voting at Local Government Elections

Local government elections in Tasmania are a full postal ballot.

  This means there is a 'polling period', rather than one polling day as for state Parliamentary elections. Every elector will be sent their very own postal ballot pack at their postal address. You then have around 4 weeks to complete and post your vote back to the returning officer. In 2017 the Central Highlands by-election polling period is between Tuesday 7 February to 10am Tuesday 7 March..

  If you are outside of Tasmania during the polling period, you may apply for an express vote.

Postal Ballot

Between 7th and 10th February, keep your eye on the mailbox for your ballot pack, which will look like this:  

Who can vote in local government elections?

Are you on the State electoral roll?

If you are currently on the electoral roll, you are automatically on the Local Government roll for the municipal area (council) in which your enrolled address is located.

If you are eligible to be on the state electoral roll but are not correctly enrolled, you can:

To be enrolled correctly for the 2017 Central Highlands by-election we need to have received your completed enrolment form before 6pm Thursday 19 January 2017.

What if I have a shack or a shop—or if I’m not an Australian citizen?

You are also eligible to be on the Local Government roll if:

  • you own or occupy land in a municipal area different from where you are enrolled on the state electoral roll, or
  • you are the nominated representative of a corporate body which owns or occupies land in the municipal area.

To enrol under these special provisions you need to complete the appropriate enrolment form:

To be enrolled under these special provisions for the Central Highlands by-election you need to ensure that the General Manager for the Council in which you are enrolling has your completed enrolment form before 6pm Thursday 19 January 2017.

Candidate Handbook

If you would like a hard copy of the Candidate Information Booklet, please call the TEC on 1800 801 701 and we will post one to you.

Related information

Enrolment on the State Roll

Check your enrolment, update your details, or enrol to vote...

Learn more   
Vacancies since the 2014 elections

A record of By-elections and Recounts held since...

Learn more   
What is Local Government?

Tasmania is divided into 29 municipal areas, with each area having a governing council consisting of between 7 and 12 councillors. Each council is chaired by a mayor and has a deputy mayor. Elections for Tasmania's 29 councils are conducted by full postal ballot every four years.